Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 33 LaJolla to Mexican Border 31 miles(1,669 miles total)

Canada to Mexico, Day 33: 

We rode 31 miles to... The Mexican border baby! Woo hoo! (1,669 miles total). I am still in a state of shock that we did it! It seems so surreal that I actually biked from the Canadian border to the Mexican border! I can't even describe how I am feeling right now. I don't think I've ever felt so many different emotions at once- from thrilled, to shocked, to proud, to sad, to emotions I don't even know if there are words for. I have learned so much from this ride. I've learned that I'm a whole lot tougher than I thought I was, I've learned that I can do anything that I set my mind to, I've learned that my family and I have the most incredible support system, I've learned that there is nothing more important than family, and I've learned that I am so fortunate to live in such a wonderful community surrounded by incredible neighbors, friends, and family. Actually, I knew all of this, but this ride just brought all of it out and confirmed everything I already knew. On my very first day of the ride, I posted a quick update about how far we traveled and a summary of our day. I never had any intentions of posting every day, doing a summary, and listing all the good and bad things about our day. I don't know how that all happened, but it just kind of grew from that first day and the rest is history. A tradition was started and continued throughout the ride. Many of you told me how you looked forwarded to the daily updates and how tearful you wold oftentimes be because of the posts; but you see folks, it's a two-way street. I would frequently cry from the comments and words of encouragement that YOU gave ME! Also, thinking about what I would post each night helped pass the time on some of those long, miserable days full of crappy weather and hills. So thank you as well! It really has been an honor to have you following our journey and cheering us on. I'm usually such a private person, but it has been so enjoyable to share our experiences with so many people (even when our experiences were downright miserable). I can't tell you how much it has meant to us to read all your encouraging, heartfelt words and to be continually reminded of how much you care for our family. It truly has meant the world to us. This ride was so much harder than I thought it would be, with so many challenges (including weather, hills, and bike problems). But you know what? I wouldn't change a thing about it. It wouldn't be the same if it was all easy sailing the whole time. I think all the challenges we had was nothing compared to the challenges of ALS. When this ride is all over and done with, I can go back to my regular life. But a person with ALS never goes back to a regular life and will continually face challenges far worse than what I had to, or will ever have to face. I am so proud that I have made a difference in the world of ALS- from awareness, to raising money for research and ultimately, a cure. I will never regret doing this ride! Up until about 6 days ago, we didn't think Costa Rica would ever happen. With all of our setbacks, we got behind schedule and it was looking like we wouldn't arrive on time to go to Costa Rica. I had many tearful moments in which I envisioned trading in my Costa Rica plane tickets for tickets home. But there was never a question that I wouldn't finish the ride. This was a charity ride, people had donated, and people were following our journey. There was no way I was stopping early, even if it meant no Costa Rica. But as you can see, we made it work and I'm so excited to see my sister and her family and to get some much needed R and R! Again, it had been an honor beyond words to have you follow us on our journey and I will never be able to adequately tell you how much I appreciate it. The support has been overwhelming (in a very good way)! I, too, am sad that the updates will come to an end, but if you aren't too sick of me, I will do an epilogue update, as well as Costa Rica updates. Summary of our ride: ALS is bad; fundraising, support, encouragement, hope, and riding from Canada to Mexico on bikes is pretty darn good!















No comments:

Post a Comment