Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 6 Raymond to Astoria 52 miles(282 miles total)


Canada to Mexico, Day 6- 

We rode 52 miles to Astoria (282 miles total). OMG, it's amazing what the sun can do for one's soul! I literally had tears in my eyes when I saw the sun today! Everyone who knows me knows that I am a sun worshipper, but I have never been so glad to see the sun as I was today! You will never see the sun on my bad list! Thank you for your sun prayers and well-wishes! You all came through for us! Today was our best day yet. We started off with homemade cinnamon rolls from a friend's mom, followed by a sunny day with beautiful views of the coast, and ending with a stay at a friend's condo that has an awesome view of the Columbia River and a fireworks show that will be starting soon. The bad news is that we had to cross the Astoria Bridge, which has a small shoulder, is over 4 miles long, and has a sidewind. Also, when we were taking a water break on the side of highway 101, some guy across the highway came out of his house and started screaming at us because we made his dogs bark (we were across the highway on public roads, but this guy was crazy)! When we apologized, he told us that we should be sorry and he would not let up! We promptly left, but he continued to scream after us. Of all the things I worried about on this trip, a crazy guy screaming at us was not one of them! The good news is that we made it to Oregon and the sun was shining! Summary of the day: flat tires (me again) and crossing the Astoria Bridge on bikes is bad. Screaming lunatics are horrible; sunglasses, biking in short-sleeved shirts, friends and connections with food and condos, Oregon, America, lemon drops, and wine are good! The life-giving, soul-enhancing sun is magnificent! Happy 4th everyone!










No comments:

Post a Comment